Friday 13 February 2009

Audition Speech 1



'Prospero'


Part of me feels quite vulnerable posting this when, as you'll see, my pieces are far from ready, but I hope to get some constructive feedback. The footage here shows me rehearsing in the drama studio at school during a free period earlier in the week. Watching it now, it comes as quite a shock to discover just how much work I still have to do. I suppose it's knocked my confidence a bit. I haven't been on stage for a while; and, although it pains me to admit it, it shows. My emotional/thought transitions are horribly sluggish. It's as if I don't know what to do with my hands- I'm gesturing too much. Apart from being much brisker in my delivery, I could probably afford to be far more subtle and understated.

I'll try and post the second piece on a separate page, or the load up time is going to be huge.

The second piece, from Brian Friel's Faith Healer, is ropey too (-You'll probably notice me dry). It's clear to me that I mustn't try to squeeze laughs from the audition panel if it's to flow right. Teddy doesn't know what makes him funny.


Thanks to my drama colleague Carole for videoing this.


What will the Academy be looking for exactly...? I'm beginning to get nervous already, even though I haven't even been notified of my audition date yet! I do know the school have already held a week of auditions in Chicago and New York for the MA course I want to do. I'll really need to be at the top of my game to stand a chance of getting a place.


Right now, any comments- positive or negative- will be a great help!

No comments: