Saturday 15 November 2008

Tally's Blood 7


I am overwhelmed with the response to Tally’s Blood. In all my 15 years at the Ramshorn- as an audience member/ actor/ director I have never known such vociferous and positive reaction to a show. It’s just astonishing the extraordinary levels of affection the actors are inspiring in those who come to see it. Every night the audience are in floods of tears and sniffles; there are warm gales of laughter, shrieks of delight and sympathetic “awwws” during the tender, sentimental moments; applause at the end of every single scene. Hormonal girls are even waiting at the stage door to pass on messages to the actors playing Hughie and Franco! And none of this is done ironically- which is surely saying something, given that the vast majority of the audience are hard-nosed teenagers. 35 of my own students came to see it last night and they were in raptures. I think they may have a little more respect for the advice i give them in the classroom now :-)

I know only too well that 15-18 year olds are, in many ways, perhaps the most difficult audience to please, even if they may not always (admittedly) be the most critically discerning. They can by turns be both cruelly cynical and sentimental, knowing and ignorant, enthusiastic and dismissive; yet I think it is a measure of our achievement that we have managed to pitch the show in such a way that we are able to appeal to the adolescent, whilst at the same time moving and engaging a more grown-up, theatre-literate demographic. This is because there are so many exquisite subtleties and nuances of observation to do with emotional psychology and the difficulty of love and human relationship in there too. Di Mambro’s writing does much of this, but it would be glaringly obvious to anyone if my production should somehow fall short of her vision of what the play should be in performance. My actors really are doing a fabulous job. I like to think she would find much to admire in our interpretation. I do hope she finds time to come and see it. I just hope the actors are not tempted to try 'to fix wot ain't broke' out of boredom, over-familiarity with the material or a desire to force growth. There are early signs this may be happening (-more of which below), and it must be stamped out now.

Some of the most positive reactions have come from adults, especially drama teachers. “Magical”, “wonderful”, “brilliantly directed”, “perfect casting”, “beautiful”, “the best show I’ve seen here”, “the best production I’ve ever seen”(!), “fantastic”, etc. They love the design, the acting, the choice of music, the direction, the composition of the blocking, and the clever use of set... etc. One middle-aged woman told me that she had seen several productions of this play over the years (where?) and ours was easily the best. The audience particularly warm to Hughie and Massimo’s characters; yet my Karen is attracting some of the best responses from the older and perhaps more astute and discerning members of the theatre-going public for her superbly judged reading of Rosinella Pedreschi. My friend Robert is particularly affecting too as her husband, Massimo. The pair of them are like twin pillars on which the rest of production rests.

The rest of the run is now completely sold out. And the whole cast and crew are lapping it up, of course! The theme of the play is Love, and so it seems perfectly in keeping that everyone involved- behind stage, on stage, FOH and audiences has been infected with that profound spiritual force too- not in a soppy way, but in a deep-rooted and powerful sense. Everyone concerned is really going to miss this show when it finishes. I couldn’t be more pleased. I’m now receiving several invitations from drama departments all over the west of Scotland, asking me to come as a guest speaker and talk about the job of directing.

But even now it is important that none of us grow complacent or cocky. I want the cast to keep the lovely ensemble feeling. There are early indications that the threatening shadows of ego-conflict are starting to loom, which India and I will need to keep a close eye on. Apparently there were some disagreements backstage after last night's show. India, Robert and Karen told me about them. Some actors (who must remain nameless) are making too much of their roles, trying to milk audience response with over-illustration and playing out- which tends to throw the production off kilter and steals focus from the thrust of the story while it places the emphasis on their acting. This is deathly, and must be resisted at all costs for the production to gel as a whole.

Ah, the perils of the Actor's Ego...!

I must be sure I manage these issues as sensitvely as I can, or the ensemble ethic could so quickly fracture and disintegrate. One of the main reason the play is such a success is because everyone involved has until now been so mutually supportive and trusting of each other. Without those precious and delicate bonds the whole thing might easily collapse like a house of cards. It seems my role is now less as 'Director' (the play is now up and running after all, and my job should be over) and more as 'Family Therapist'!

Me!?!! LOL

2 comments:

Seralu said...

Oh I wish I could see the full thing! Am so delighted to see you getting so much back from something you have put your heart and soul into the last few months...and that such a precious bond is being formed between the actors and their characters and the play as an audience...and that they feel so involved that they want to wait backstage and meet the actors! I love the innocence and unselfconsciousness of that :-)
I'm sure you will iron out the niggles, I was reading Teresa of Avila's "Interior Castle" the other day and in the Second Mansion she says that even when you are on course you have to be extra vigilant of the reptiles! But it sounds like a sound production pointing towards the higher values you have imbued into it - I have no doubt you will be able to address these issues even through the work you have done on the central theme...
Am so delighted to hear how well Karen and Robert also and the recognition they are getting for their considerable talents - they are so generous in their portrayals - Karen is so likeable as Rosinella and I love the humour and humility she puts into her character's redemption and ultimate awakening.
That's great you have been asked to do some talks and that even more avenues are opening up for you!
Sooo...Mr Coleman, what next??? (Am only joking, you certainly deserve to rest on your laurels for a bit after this!)

Mark said...

What next..? Well, funnily enough I'll be auditioning actors for Giffnock Theatre's House of Bernarda Alba on Wednesday evening, when I would of course much rather be watching Tally's Blood. We don't start rehearsals for HOBA till Feb; and although I would have loved to do some acting before then, there's nothing very interesting coming my way at the mo.

As for the reptiles that are lurking in the current production well I have decided that rather than single out any offending cast members tonight for what might be perceived as a patronising and unwelcome dressing down, I am simply going to issue the whole cast with a page of general advice which offer just a few things for everyone to think about during the course of the run. I am chary about offering my directorial pennyworth at this late stage- especially as the show should be their own now- so instead I will distribute the notes in a kind of general, "take-it-or-leave-it" way. They can dismiss them as a eccentric, unnecessary or pretentious but hopefully they will at least make them think, and will communicate in a way that encourages everyone to remain vigilant for the destructive potential of the Ego.

-Pay attention

-Listen and respond

-Send waves of light to your scene partner

-The bigger you become, the smaller your character gets

-Simply tell the simple story simply

-Feel more... Show less

-Make the other actor look better than they are

-Empower and inspire others

-Your job is not to demonstrate how talented you are

-Surrender your focus to serving the writing

-Don't savour. Serve.

-Tally's Blood is about Love.

-...Find the humility and the grace to realise that love is always going to be much bigger and infinitely more fascinating than you are!

-Don't try to gild the lilies.

-If it ain't broke don't try to fix it to make it better.

-Your precious 'moments' will quickly become ugly the moment you try to maniulate an audience into admiring them

-Over-illustration is deathly

-Don't hold onto the past. Be in the present. Now...

-And Now.

-And Now.