Sunday 17 May 2009

Titus Andronicus







I am in mid-rehearsal,playing the leading role in Shakespeare's earliest tragedy, Titus Andronicus, to be staged at the Ramshorn Theatre in Glasgow from Fri 29 May- Sat 6 June, and I would love anyone who's interested to come along and check it out. With less than two weeks to go it's perhaps still too early to say how good it'll be. As it is I'm really only just off book and we finished our first full run-through just a couple of days ago, but it's seems to be shaping up well apart from the odd bit of over-acting (mostly from me, it has to be said- although the piece does seem to merit it!).


TITUS: "Art thou Revenge?.. Welcome, dread Fury, to my woeful house." (V ii)


(with Frankie MacEachen as my nemesis, Tamora)

TITUS: "And in the emperor's court there is a queen attended by a Moor." (V i)

(Daniel Sweetman as Aaron and Frankie MacEachen as his lover, Tamora)


TITUS: "I am the sea; hark how her sighs do blow..." (III i)

(with Natalie Clark as my daughter Lavinia)

The storyline is extremely straightforward and even for those dyed-in-the-wool Bardophobes among you it's a highly entertaining romp about vigillante violence, serial rape, vengeance and homicide, ritual dismemberment, assisted suicide and slaughter. It is by turns disturbing, hilarious, heart-breaking and thrilling. Imagine, if you will, Quentin Tarantino in blank verse. Do come!

Fun, fun, fun for all the family!
:-)

1 comment:

Seralu said...

Loving the pics! Am gonna do my very best to make it over...having a few funding probs at the mo so hopefully can sort them...